What is the world coming to? To an end, perhaps? While the US plays Big Brother and the UN is on silent mode, the world is slowly collapsing. Slow and eventual decay will eat the world up from the inside out; eventually taking us by surprise one day, when we wak up and see a total destruction of the world. The Middle East is on fire, with Iraq and Palestine as literal warzones, Africans are dying of famine and drought, Pakistan and India are exchanging blame over too many bomb blasts, Iran is at lockerheads with the West over its Nuclear ambitions, Guantanamo is not a dream but a real prison cage set up by non-other than the beloved Mr. Bush, the beacon and exporter of his version of democracy and people everywhere are in a sorry sorry situation.
A comment on my post by Anon about the Arab Sorry Situation, triggered me to post these facts about Africa:
1. Africa is the second-largest of the Earth's seven continents - covering about 30,330,000 sq km, which makes up about 22 per cent of the world's total land area.
2. 90% of all malaria cases are in sub-Saharan Africa
3. 3,000 children under the age of five die each day from malaria in Africa.
4. 1-5% of GDP in Africa covers costs of malaria control and lost labour days
5. Did you know, that Africa would have been an estimated US $100 billion better off in 1999 if malaria had been eliminated years ago?
6. 17 million people in sub-Saharan Africa have died of AIDS.
7. At least 25 million people in Africa are HIV-positive.
8. 12 million children who have lost their parents to AIDS face a precarious future.
9. Internal conflicts are burning up many African societies.
10. The media and the rest of the world loves to ignore Africa and leaves Africans to either fend for themselves or fry each other.
Africa is the troubled continent, that the rest of the world prefers to ignore, it is the continent where Aids and Malaria eat at human beings day after day while the world's superpowers never turn to think about them for a second, well because, they are just the third world, unworthy of our time, effort or money!
Seriously now, the world needs to wake up!
What do you think? What other burning questions need to be answered regarding Africa? What other major problems do you think plague this continent today? Would love to hear your feedback!